Tips on Surviving the Upcoming Google Mopocalypse
April 16, 2015 | Contributed by: Joe Morsello
Google’s mobile-friendly algorithm update, also referred to as the “mopocalypse,” is scheduled to go live on Tuesday, April 21. Recent data from Google explains the move, but what does it mean for brands and marketers? Google says that the update is expected to have more of an impact than previous “Panda” and “Penguin” updates. Earlier this week, LSA held a webinar to discuss the issue.
LSA’s Greg Sterling led the webinar and was accompanied by experts Will Scott, CEO of Search Influence, and Bryson Meunier, SEO director of Vivid Seats. Greg set the stage by providing some compelling stats:
- Smartphone penetration is expected to hit 90% by end of 2016
- More daily time spent now on mobile devices than TV
- Out of nearly $18 trillion in US GDP, roughly 70% is local consumer spending
- Roughly 80% of internet users do online research before buying offline
- Trillions of dollars are in local spending is influenced by internet and increasingly mobile
- Mobile will hit 72% of digital spend by 2019
From there Will and Bryson provided some practical and tactical insight and suggestions to help give some direction on how marketers and brands can survive these major algorithm changes. Check out the entire webinar below:
For access to all of our past webinars and a look at what’s to come, visit http://bit.ly/LSAwebinars.