SoMoConf: Capturing the Online Opportunity for this Year’s Holiday Season
August 21, 2014 | Contributed by: Joe Morsello
The holiday season generates significant consumer spending and, according to Felicia Gardner, Bing evangelist, around $600B is spent during the season. Felicia went on to discuss the mobile opportunity and just how significant it is given the fact that mobile devices are going everywhere with consumers.
From right before Thanksgiving dinner, to afterwards, consumers are able to easily shop online no matter where they are. Felicia provided a dump of stats showing just how powerful the holiday season is and how advertisers need to get involved:
- Shoppers plan to purchase gifts online;
- Shoppers begin early and end late but the majority (40%) of holiday shopping happens in November;
- By August most marketers start holiday planning;
- Half of holiday campaigns kick off in November;
- The top three days for holiday shopping are Cyber Monday, Black Friday and Thanksgiving Day;
- Even during holidays, mobile allows consumers to shop while with the family via their device. The best way to optimize is ensuring campaigns are running at all times during these days;
- Average consumer spends around $500 during the holiday season;
- A fifth of Cyber Monday and Black Friday sales come from mobile;
- 55% of consumers check for item availability before going into store;
- 49% of consumers research gift ideas.
“Mobile’s going to be huge in offering online to offline deals given the ability to target showrooming consumers,” Felicia said. “Make sure to bid on the proper key words so you don’t miss out on those sales opportunities.
She went on to talk about the difference between mobile and tablet consumer usage. Felicia said that “shopping with mobile brings holiday cheer” because smartphones generate more traffic but tablets generate more online shopping traffic.
Tags: 2014 SoMoConf, Borrell Associates, Local Media Association, Local Search Association, mobile marketing, social + mobile, Social + Mobile: Show Me the Money!, social media, social media marketing, SoMoConf
Sorry. No data so far.