Neg Norton Highlights Industry Transformation at YPA 2010 Conference
April 19, 2010 | Contributed by: Stephanie Hobbs
In his annual President’s address at the YPA 2010 conference, President Neg Norton spoke of a transformed Yellow Pages industry that has seen dramatic innovation despite recession in 2009. Highlighting the new products, services and breakthroughs that have characterized the last 12 months in local search, he gave special recognition to:
- SuperMedia and Dex One’s re-emergence as stronger, revitalized companies after financial restructuring; and YPG’s new multi-platform-focused brand.
- New marketing strategies like The Berry Company’s new go-to market strategy and SuperMedia’s SuperGuarantee program – which both leverage the trust consumers have in Yellow Pages.
- New integrated web platforms that bring together news, local directory listings, social content, video and other interactive content all in one space like AT&T’s yp.com and Buzz.com, YPG’s Calgary.com, and LocalEdge’s launch of Skunkpost.com.
- Avantar, Yellowbook and Yellow Magic’s new yellow pages application for the iPad, SuperMedia’s sp411 and Yell Group’s augmented reality iPhone App.
- New strategic partnerships and vertical innovations like SuperMedia’s acquisition of EveryCarListed.com; YPG’s acquisition of RedFlagDeals.com, CanPages.com and Restaurantica.com; and DexKnows weddings.
- New measures introduced to reflect the needs and environmental concerns of our consumers, including Dex One’s “Select Your Dex” program, Sensis’ carbon neutral certification and Yellowbook’s efforts to significantly minimize the size of their directories.
“These transformational steps coupled with a recovering economy can make this the best of times for our industry,” said Neg.
“We have a clear vision of what the future looks like for our business, and that is as trusted consultants to local businesses, offering smart and effective multiplatform solutions to generate sales leads wherever, whenever on whatever platform their consumers are searching. We have the resources, the knowhow, the channels, and the transformative leadership to realize that vision better than any other player in this space.”