Local Pays Off: Local Search Industry Supports Buying From Local Businesses to Build Stronger Communities
June 27, 2012 | Contributed by: Neg Norton
America’s best and most sustainable cities have strong local business economies with vibrant shopping and services that attract new residents, encourage entrepreneurs, and draw other businesses to invest in the community. One role we play as providers of local search services is to encourage consumers to think about how buying locally pays off for the entire community.
Today we’re launching a new platform – Local Pays Off – that captures that idea. Local Pays Off is our industry’s pledge to promote local business and the benefits of buying close to home.
Here’s how supporting local businesses pays off for a community:
- Economic prosperity: Local purchases generate tax revenue for municipalities and serve as a catalyst for job creation and growth.
- Trusted products and services: Local businesses ensure residents can conveniently get the products and services they need, when they need them, from nearby businesses they know and trust.
- Environmental improvement: Buying locally requires less transportation, resulting in less sprawl, congestion, pollution and energy use.
- Vibrancy and diversity: A city’s core is strengthened by local businesses that add vibrancy to city streets, neighborhoods and shopping centers.
- Opportunity: Strong local businesses meet the specific needs of the community, attract new talent, encourage entrepreneurs, and draw other businesses to invest.
I believe that engaging our industry in the buy local movement makes perfect sense. For years, Yellow Pages have been the go-to source for information for consumers who want to buy local. And today, we’re continuing to expand options for consumers who want to buy locally well beyond the print directory – our industry now includes online and mobile Yellow Pages, search engine marketing, SEO, and much more.
I hope everyone in our industry will get behind Local Pays Off and encourage consumers to buy local. Not only is it good for our business, but it’s good for the clients, consumers, and communities we serve.
For more, go to www.localsearchassociation.org/localpaysoff.