Holiday Time is Peak ‘Family Portrait Season’ According to Yellow Pages Research
November 24, 2010 | Contributed by: Natalie Wuchenich
It’s hard to believe, but the holidays are right around the corner! And in true holiday form, families across the country are turning to Yellow Pages directories this season to find a local photographer to capture those special moments.
Yellow Pages research indicates that married women with families drive references in the portrait photography category. More than four out of five references are made by women (85%), with above-average usage among those who are married and have more than five family members.
If you’re thinking of looking for a photographer this holiday season, check out these important tips on how to select the right person, courtesy of the Professional Photographers of America:
- Shop Around: It’s important to at least have an idea of the photography style you like the best, and that comes from researching and looking at photos.
- Ask to See It All: Be sure to ask for samples of entire photography sessions (like a finalized album). This will help you determine if a photographer lacks consistency in the quality of the images…and if the images look too much alike.
- Look to Connect: When you’re relaxed and comfortable with someone, you become more natural in front of the camera, allowing for even better pictures.
- Seek Credentials: Look for the Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) designation, granted by the Professional Photographic Certification Commission, the world’s leading certification agency for imaging professionals. Or look for photographic degrees earned through programs like those at PPA. The actions photographers take to earn PPA degrees help keep them abreast of the industry changes and keep their skills sharp.
- Think About the End Result: What do you want to take home with you? Part of your photographer search and planning should include what portrait products you want. Do you want something for Facebook? Ask the photographers what they have to offer for online use. As for prints, do you want something a little different? Something more than the usual wallets? Options abound and professional photographers are happy to help you choose the products that best fit your needs and your budget.
For more information, check out our “Family Portrait Season” press release here.